I love scouring magazines for recipes. This recipe is one I found recently. I changed a few things about it though since certain quantities seemed a little too high. I enjoy all things pasta and tortellini is definitely my favorite. So when I saw this recipe and that it included pasta and tomatoes.. well.. I was in love. I think this is a great recipe for non-spinach fans to become reacquainted. The flavor is amazing!
I found the original version of this recipe in a magazine but I can’t remember which one so if you know which magazine, please let me know so I can provide proper credit.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/4 c heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg (16oz) frozen cheese tortellini
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream and cheese and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- While sauce is simmering, cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain after cooked.
- Once sauce is thickened, toss with cooked tortellini. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
The original recipe called for twice the amount of spinach, but after preparing this dish with only half the amount, I know that 10 ounces of spinach would be entirely too much. I also reduced the amount of heavy whipping cream by 1/4 cup since the original photo looked soupy.
Instead of regular canned tomatoes, try it with canned tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano. Yum!