If you love taco pizza as much as I do, then you will appreciate my healthified Mini Taco Pizza recipe. I tried to make the recipe as healthy as I could while still keeping the delicious taco pizza flavor I love. The flavor is a only a little spicy; just the perfect amount of heat.
One Mini Taco Pizza, which is completely filling, equates to just under 500 calories. For your convenience, I also include a variation to prepare this recipe using regular pizza crust, but to me, nothing beats your own little personal pizza.
- 1 pkg (1.25oz) reduced sodium taco seasoning mix, divided
- 1 can (16oz) fat-free refried beans
- 1 can (8oz) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 6 whole wheat pita bread rounds (or 2 pre-baked 12″ pizza crusts)
- 2 c reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2 cans (14.5oz ea) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained well
- 1 c shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix with refried beans and tomato sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, prepare beef according to the taco seasoning package directions using the remaining taco seasoning.
- Place pita breads on baking sheet. Evenly distribute and spread refried beans on pita breads. Do the same with the cheese, beef, and drained tomatoes. (If using 12″ pre-baked pizza crust, just split the ingredients between 2 pizzas.)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and crust is crisp (or golden brown for pre-baked pizza crust). Cool slightly then top each pizza with lettuce and serve immediately.
If you’re using 12″ pre-baked pizza crust, rotate halfway through cooking time for even baking. Remember, using full-fat items (instead of reduced fat ingredients) will add more calories and fat so use at your discretion.
If you can find spicy refried beans, feel free to use those for a little more heat.