These little wonders of deliciousness are very easy to make. The most difficult part is cutting the pita breads in half and even that is simple as long as you are careful.
You’ll probably feel full after you eat one but if you’re extra hungry go ahead and eat two of these because each Mini Mediterranean Pizza only packs around 200 calories.
- 6 oz lean ground beef
- 1/4 c onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tsp fresh)
- 2 6-inch whole wheat pita rounds
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c baby spinach, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 c crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 12 kalamata olives, quartered (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium skillet, cook beef, onion, and garlic until beef is browned. Slowly stir in tomato sauce and rosemary, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Split pita rounds in half horizontally using a sharp knife. (You are turning 2 pita breads into 4.) Place each pita round, rough side up, on a baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes.
- Top toasted pita rounds with meat mixture, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and bake for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with spinach, tomato, feta cheese, and olives. Serve warm.
I always use 93% (or better) lean ground beef in order to limit calories and fat as much as possible.