I enjoy all things pasta and tortellini is definitely my favorite. This is a great recipe for non-spinach fans to become reacquainted. The flavor is amazing and even my picky eaters love it!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/4 c heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg (16oz) frozen cheese tortellini
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream and cheese and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- While sauce is simmering, cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain after cooked.
- Once sauce is thickened, toss with cooked tortellini. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Instead of regular canned tomatoes, try it with canned tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano. Yum! Substitute half & half for the heavy whipping cream (even fat free) for a healthier version.