I’m not a huge fan of venison, but when I get it, I almost always turn it into something I love… chili.
This recipe is amazingly easy to make and tastes delicious. Since the chili is made in a slow cooker, just toss everything in, and dinner is ready 6 hours later.
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 lb ground italian sausage
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can mild chili beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can green chilis, drained
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 6oz dark beer
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- Cook venison and sausage in olive oil over medium heat until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a slow cooker, add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Add meat mixture and combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 2 hours. After cooking, skim off fat. Serve topped with sour cream or cheddar cheese with a side of corn bread or tortilla chips.
Any kind of beer will do, but dark beer is best for this recipe. If you don’t want to add beer, you may substitute chicken broth.
If you want a little more heat, use hot italian sausage or add an additional 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.